Title VII - Indian Education

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Indian Education supports the efforts of local educational agencies, Indian tribes and organizations, postsecondary institutions and other entities to meet the unique educational and culturally related academic needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. The program provides academic supports to ensure these students meet academic standards.

The Aurora Public Schools is a recipient of a Title VII – Indian Education Grant from the Office of Indian Education. Title VII funds are allocated to school districts based on the number of Native American students with a completed 506 Certification form on file with the District’s Indian Education Program.

Native American students may participate by completing the required 506 Certification form. The 506 form requires basic student information, name of tribe, proof of membership and a parent/guardian signature. The 506 form will become part of your child’s permanent school record and will not need to be completed each year.

Learn more: Title VII Indian ED 506 Blank form

What are the benefits to your student for participating?

The grant for the Indian Education Program allows the district to provide eligible students the following services:

  • Assistance with basic school supplies K-12
  • Support for high school students with graduation and post-secondary goals
  • Referrals to community programs or social services agencies

How to enroll or register your child in a federally recognized tribe:

Obtaining a tribal band card or being registered with a Native American tribe requires proof that you are a descendant of a Native American. Documents must show proof of familial relationships and you must have a completed tribal application. Begin the process of tracing your Native American ancestry by starting with yourself and working backwards. It is important to note that each tribe has its own application procedure. Check to see what is required by contacting your national tribal organization to start your research.

College Information & Scholarships

There are several Colleges and Universities in Colorado that offer excellent opportunities for post-secondary education. Start your search by contacting your school counselor; start browsing the Internet or by contacting the admissions department at the post-secondary college or university to which you are interested in applying.

There are many scholarships available specifically for American Indian students. These scholarships each have their own eligibility requirements and application processes. The links below will provide additional scholarship information:

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Complete and submit an application to FAFSA for access to the largest source of financial aid for college or career school expenses. The FAFSA4caster is a quick and easy resource to help you understand postsecondary options for your child.

Helpful Resource Links: